Hi, I’m John. I’m a professional wedding photographer based in Lansing, Michigan.
I have been described as enthusiastic, artistic, innovative, and truly caring about the work I do. I strongly believe in effective communication when planning your wedding day photography. I tend to shy away from photographic techniques which are trendy. Even though I like to know in advance what photos are expected of me, I’m always on the lookout for those unexpected moments.
I love high key photography (light and bright), and prefer working with natural light when it is available, but I will always deliver an excellent product no matter what the lighting conditions are.
I love keeping up with technology, whether it’s the cameras and lenses we use, or the latest and most advanced editing software. As a photographer you are always a student, and have to strive to keep yourself current with the latest advances in technology.
I believe it is important to use your God given talents, and give them back to the community is some positive fashion. I have done volunteer work for the Peppermint Creek Theatre Company (a local theatre company), the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and for Help Portrait. Help Portrait is nationwide event where professional photographers come together to take professional photos of the economically disadvantaged in our community during the Christmas season. It really warms your heart to see people cherish these photos, knowing that you provided a gift which they may not have been able to afford on their own. The payback is that you get back more than you give from participating in this event. It’s really important to give back and stand in the place where you live.
What sets John Douglas Photography apart from other Photographers?
I place a lot of emphasis on communication. From the moment you contact me I will assist you in any way I can during your planning process. I can advise on schedules, how much time I would need to photograph all events at your wedding, ways to keep your guests entertained during our on location shots, and recommend the best locations to shoot. Our participation in your planning process is offered to allow you to have the best images possible!
I belong to the Professional Photographers of American and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. Participation in these organizations guarantees that we are constantly honing our skills and keeping up with the latest advances in photography.
We shoot Canon. All of our equipment is professional grade. Following is a list of our major equipment
- Two Canon 5D Mark III’s, and a 7D.
- In 2016 I will be adding a new Sony Alpha II mirrorless camera to the lineup.
- Canon 50 mm f/1.4
- Sigma 50 mm f/1.2 Art Glass
- Sigma 35 mm f/2.8 Art Glass
- Canon 100 f/2.8 macro lens (for wedding rings and other extreme closeups)
- Canon 60 mm f/2.8 macro lens
- Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom lens
- Canon 16-35 mm f/2.8 zoom lens
- Canon 24-105 mm f/4 zoom lens
- Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 lens
- Four 600ex RT strobes
- Two wireless triggers for the strobes
- Three Alien Bee studio strobes
- Two Flashpoint strobes with trigger
- Two Pocket Wizard radio triggers
- One iMac with 27 inch display
- One Mac mini with 27 inch display
- New 27 inch iMac with 5K retina display will be purchased in 2016
- Adobe Lightroom, Creative Cloud
- Adobe Photoshop, Creative Cloud
We are members of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals as well the Professional Photographers of America