Welcome! . . . from John Douglas, a professional Michigan Photographer
(click on the thumbnails above to see full images)
|Pricing and Promotions||7|
|Tis The Season||11|
Our theme continues to be “Creativity + Collaboration + Communication = great memories”, three terms which are essential for some really spectacular images and memories.
Along with some general information about us and photography in general, we will be sharing
Spectacular images are the result of an effective collaboration between the photographer and the client. The client should be aware of what is possible to do and what is reasonable to do within
the constraints of your schedule and budgets.
We're all about effective communication with our prospective clients. We want you to make an informed decision when choosing your special event photographer! If you're just starting the process of choosing a photographer we're happy to meet you over a cup of coffee to discuss photography in general; photographic style; effectively incorporating photography into your special event; choosing photography products; photographic technique; choosing a photographer; or to answer any questions you have.
Don't have time to meet in person? Send us an e-mail, contact us via phone, or submit your questions to our on-line forum.
Your trust is of utmost importance to us. Be assured that we will communicate with you ONLY when you contact us or ask us for information or if follow up information is requested from us.
Phone: 517 243-5900
Pricing - our prices range from $1,200 to $3,800, depending on the number of photographers and additional options and services you choose. Our pricing is very flexible, we can (upon request) provide you with a specific quotation which is based upon your specific requirements. Our optional services include: a second photographer; a photo booth; video; aerial video; album design; "first photo"; and instant replay photos. Click here to get a detailed description of our products and services. Please keep in mind that the price range listed above is an approximate price range; we can provide you with a customized quote.
Customized Quotations - Click here to read a useful article on requesting an alternate quotation. This information is applicable for requesting quotes for any photographer.
Special Promotions - We will be attending the Dream Wedding Bridal Show on January 3rd, 2014 at the Eagle Eye Banquet Center, and The Bridal Party at the Kellogg Center on January 4th, 2014. Please plan on attending on these events, we will be offering substantial discounts ($200 to $300) for those who book us at these bridal shows. We will also be having a drawing for a complimentary engagement photo session or a complimentary photo booth session.
We are currently booking 2014 events. Keep in mind that the most popular months for weddings are the months of April through October, and these months book quickly. Once you find a photographer that you really like, you should check on his or her availability for your wedding date. Although a photographer may tell you that he or she is available on a certain date, the date is not held for you until you sign a contract and reserve your date with a deposit.
The longest lead time items are your ceremony and reception venues. As soon as you have the ceremony and reception dates and times are established you should choose a photographer in order to reserve your date and obtain the photographer you want.
Phone: 517 243-5900
If you are to be "imminently engaged", drop the hint to your significant other know that we can photograph him in the process of buying the ring, the proposal, and your engagement photo session. We have some very creative ideas for the proposal.
One of the hottest and most innovative trends in event photography is the use of aerial video. Aerial video provides a unique perspective that a camera and traditional video cannot provide. The camera provides a very wide angle of your chosen venue and is especially effective for taking videos of large groups of people and to cover large expanses of real estate. Imagine having a video taken of your guests as they are arriving; a moving aerial panorama of your ceremony or reception venue; or a birds eye view of your reception. Aerial video would be a phenomenal addition to any still/video photography taken to memorialize your special event. If a picture is worth a thousand words; then a video would be a book.
Obviously the aerial videography would not be used to interrupt the solemnity or flow of the event, it would be used as a supplement to any photography/videography being done at your special event. Our aerial camera is illustrated below, here is an example (click here) of aerial video. Here's an example of how the GoPro can be used.
GoPro video. The small size and weight and the mobility of the GoPro camera allow it to used where video was not feasible before. I use my GoPro camera for aerial video and for filming special events in very low lighting. The camera provides excellent results and can produce video in HD formal.
The camera can be mounted inconspicuously (even in the bride's bouquet) and has been used by groomsmen and even the wedding officiant to film your ceremony up close and personal. In addition to being used for aerial video, the camera can be mounted on a car, hidden conspicuously, and attached to a headband and used to video the dancing at your reception. The camera is controlled remotely via an iPad, and can be connected to HD TV to stream videos while your special event is happening (imagine the possibilities!).
Here's an example of how the GoPro can be used at a special event.
Photo Booth With a Twist
Our photo booth utilizes studio lighting and your choice of professional backgrounds. Our photo booth can be set up to be a conventional small enclosed booth or can be non-enclosed. A non-enclosed booth can accommodate larger groups of people.
Our cameras and computers communicate wirelessly with one another. Wireless communications allow us to instantly display video or photos in real time (okay, a few seconds lag time). We can take the "first photo" of you as husband and wife, have the photo printed, matted and framed and displayed at your reception. Photos taken at the photo booth can be shared with your guests as they are taken, or displayed at a later time during your special event.
While this technology is fun and innovative, our primary focus is to provide you with beautiful images. Turn the page to learn about our style.
We appreciate well composed, candid and posed photographs and strive to provide these types of images to our clients. We prefer to use natural light, since this is the most flattering light source, and provides the best possible images. When natural light is not available, we use off camera flash in very creative ways. We are constantly seeking to find and capture these moments.
We believe the best images are the ones that require very little editing. We believe the best images are those that are unscripted, unrehearsed, and unexpected. We like to innovate and experiment and will use various photographic techniques such as double exposures, black and white, selected pre-sets, shallow depth of field
Looking for a Professional Photographer?
Contact us via email or give us a call at 517 243-5900. We are happy to meet with you to answer your questions and to help you simplify the process of choosing a photographer for your special event. This consultation is complimentary and helps you make an informed decision!
- Our pricing is flexible and competitive. We have a number of pricing packages, and will also customize a package to meet your specific needs.
- We will be attending the Bridal Party Wedding Show in January as well as the Eagle Eye Wedding Show. Stop by and see us and see examples of our work. We are offering significant discounts for those who book early. Contact us for details.
- We are currently booking 2014 special events. The months of April through October book quickly. Book early to have your date saved!
We also have a photo booth for your special event and can instantly capture and display photos during your reception. Talk to us about the details.
Considered by many to be the best Michigan wedding photographer in mid-Michigan, John is available for weddings, engagements, personal, academic and corporate special events in Lansing, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Traverse City, Troy, Midland, Ann Arbor, across Michigan and beyond. John utilizes his unique talents to photograph many diverse cultural and religious events such as Vivah Sanskar, Bar Mitzvahs, Bat Mitzvahs, Manch Pravesh, Quinceaneras, Debuts, and Cotillions. John also provides photo booths for special events such as birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas Parties, retirements, commencements and receptions.
- ”My husband and I had John do both our engagement photos and our wedding photos, and we could not be happier with our choice! Looking through the photos, they captured the beauty and love of that day perfectly. In addition, John managed to not be very obvious about taking pictures and I hardly noticed him clicking away during our ceremony and reception – yet, he captured some amazing shots! John has a wonderful demeanor and was a pleasure to work with. His photography skills are also top notch. I would definitely recommend him to any other bride!”
- “I really am not sure where to start. I am an events planner and have worked with countless brides, families, venues and vendors but on June 16, 2012 I was a bride. I was like every other woman that looks forward to marrying the love of their life. John captured that day for me. I have worked with so many talented photographers but John is more than that. He is dependable, responsive and trustworthy. He is creative and tirelessly shot photo after photo on one of the hottest days of the year. He did so graciously and patiently. Not only did he bend over backwards to get a picture of every significant moment of the day, he had fun! He is truly passionate about photography. This isnt a job to him. This seems like it’s his love! He exceeded all expectations I had and I can’t begin to say how hard I am to please! He has a way of being a perfectionist but not in the sense that some photographers do when it feels like they are taking away from your day. He was respectful of us and allowed us to enjoy our day with our family but was still able to get hundreds upon hundreds of beautiful pictures. Your wedding day is a day where you need true professionals; experts in their craft to execute their job. John executed his job flawlessly. I am so thankful for that and owe him a great deal for allowing us to enjoy our wedding day over and over again.”
- “We have been getting family pictures done with John since early 2010. From that first experience we have called John for all of our family milestones (maternity, newborn, birthdays, etc.) It has been a great three years getting to know John. If you are like me and sometimes need pictures right away, then John is your photographer. There have been times that he was able to get us copies (on disc) within two days. He is always professional and maintains his composure even when you are a frustrated parent with four kids running around the room. John will do whatever it takes to get the exact picture that you want or may be visualizing. I would recommend him to anyone.”